Friday, February 1, 2013

When Bed Rest Finds Me Reading

After a few adolescent years of poor choices, I was covered in the Blood of The Lamb and began a journey through transformation.

Transformation into a being that lives by the guidance of the Spirit, listens for the voice of God, and allows Him to open eyes and doors on His timing.

I sit here, 3 months away from my 6-year rebirth anniversary, and find NEW scales being peeled from my eyes.

We've been in our new town since September and were still searching for a new church to call home. Having been "unchurched" growing up, our last church was our first and only true experience in an environment of Christ followers. We were very Spirit-led and the church, meaning the people within the central infrastructure, are AMAZING people, leading lives by example.

We had it good. Real good.

Fast forward to now.

We know we were trained up and called out of our comfy friendship circle for HIS purpose and timing.

We just have been unsure of the details to this point. He opened every door for us to move here, and has paved way for new friendships to form. He has moved many teenage fellers into my husband's hemisphere of supernatural influence and I am beginning to thrive in my many hats. (Ironic that I type this from my couch on bedrest at 24 weeks pregnant because of some pregnancy glitches that He is supernaturally mending.)

And that is not boastful. I fail several times a day, but He loves me through it and reminds me that I put my hands to my work for His glory. That failure means I get to experience grace that saves, and start all over.

However, I tell you, all 5 of you who are interested, I am getting new eyes again. My physical vision still has issues, but my Spiritual eyes...

Scales are coming off, y'all.

I'm reading a book. Not a "3 Simple Steps to A Better Christianity," book. It's more of a, "Dearest Daughter, I have been telling you ALL of this, but I needed this woman to write down ALL of your thoughts on the subject so you would connect it from head to heart" sort of book.

It's called, "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess," by Jen Hatmaker. No, of course I'm not being reimbursed for my praise of her title.

From this, I am seeing His church; what I want my family to be doing for His people that aren't already saved and aren't already blessed.

And I'm referring to the people in my backyard, the homeless, the women fleeing from abuse, the children ravaged by pain from life, and oh so many more.

I want to go to them and whisper, "I now see you. I'm so very very sorry I didn't see you before. Please forgive me for thinking that the $5 you received from us each month meant you knew how deeply God loves you. Here are my clothes that never get worn, here is a meal without any strings, here is a hug full of love and free of condemnation. Here is my Jesus, the One who can be counted upon to deliver you from all of this. Please don't forsake Him because I was blind to how much you needed me to come to you."

A quote from Jen's book,

"John the Baptist says if we have two coats, one belongs to the poor. The early church sold their possessions and lived communally, caring for one another and the broken people in their cities."

I see now.

They dont need my tithe without my face. They need my face and then...only then do they see my tithe. Giving attached to sacrifice of time and love and compassion.

Everything Jesus stood for.

1 comment: